The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has commenced second phase distribution of relief materials donated by Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for victims of insurgency in Borno.
Speaking at the occassion at Muna Kumburi camp in Maiduguri on Thursday, the Director General of NEMA, Mustafa Habib, said this was the third time Borno was recieving such support from King Salman Humanitarian Aid Relief Centre.
Represented by Hajiya Fatima Kassim the Acting Director of Planning of the agency, Habib noted that similar support by the centre was extended to victims in Yobe and Zamfara states.
“The Centre had donated 16,000 food baskets of relief materials to 16,000 households in Borno State for two (2) cycles of 8,000 household each in different Camps, in December 2022 .
“Each household is expected to have 59.8 kilograms basket of food made up of 25kg of rice; 25kg of beans; 4kg of Masa vita flour 2kg of tomato paste; litres of ground nut oil; 1kg of salt and 0. 8kg of maggi cubes.
“The first phase of the intervention was carried out in December 2022 at El-Miskin, Doro, Ashiri, Shuwari camps and Nganzai town.
“This second phase will take place in Muna Kumburi, Gongulon, Madinatu I and Madinatu II camps,” Habib said.
While noting that the food assistance would go a long way in alleviating the sufferings of those affected, Habib said the distribution would be handled directly by NEMA in collaboration wth the Borno State Emergency Management Agency to ensure it reached the direct beneficiaries (SEMA).
He urged the beneficiaries to appreciate the gesture by not allowing some people, particularly shop owners to deceive them to sale the items which had been clearly marked “Not for sale”.
Some of the beneficiaries who spoke including Kolomi Mustafa, Jidda Annur, Aisha Kachalla and Falmata Mustafa lauded the gesture which they said was timely and came as a big relief to many families.