By Richard Ogunsile , kaduna
Governor Nasir El-Rufai has been condemned by kingmakers of the Zazzau emirate over the cancellation of the selection process for a new Emir.
It could be recalled that Governor El-Rufai on Wednesday, September 30 announced on his Twitter handles the cancellation of the appointment of a new Emir of Zazzau. According to the governor, the cancellation was due to the exclusion of two interested applicants.
El-Rufai tweeted, “Kingmakers of Zazzau Emirate are currently engaged in a fresh process to recommend candidates for the office of the 19th Fulani Emir of Zazzau.”
“KDSG directed a new round of the selection process after canceling the initial process, which excluded two interested applicants.”
Seven princes had earlier declared their interest to contest for the position following the death of Shehu Idris, the former emir.
The Minimum qualification for the position as stated by the emirate council includes (BSc or HND) – 15%; Experience as a District Head – 20%; Experience in Public Service – 10%; No proven adverse report – 10%; Relationship with the public – 15%; National Award – 5% and Physical fitness – 10%.
However, following El-Rufai’s decision, reports had it that the kingmakers are not satisfied with the turn of events and that the dethroned Emir of Kano and former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Muhammadu Sanusi has intervened.
According to them, the law empowers them to recommend to the governor and criticizing El-Rufai for allegedly hijacking the process.
Reacting to the development, an indigene who spoke with newsmen said, “The governor first claimed he had not received the kingmakers’ report, then said he was reading books on the matter, the meets the President, then cancels the process. This is laughable”.
The indigene revealed further that governor El-Rufai on Wednesday, noted that the kingmakers met the government’s delegates at the State House in Kawo.
He said, “Ibrahim Aminu (Waziri Zazzau), Umar Muhammad (Fagacin Zazzau), Muhammad Abbas (Makama Ƙarami), and Dalhatu Ƙasimu (Limamin Juma’a) were seen there around 6 pm. Muhammad Aliyu (Limamin Kona) arrived around 9 pm.
“The kingmakers maintained their position; that they stand by the canceled process and selection of three princes – Bashir Aminu (Iyan Zazzau), Aminu Shehu Idris (Turakin Zazzau), Muhammadu Munir Ja’afaru (Yariman Zazzau).
“They reminded state officials that the SSG conducted the voting process, using government’s criteria. They complained about not being officially notified about the nullification tweeted by the governor.
“They then completed the assessment forms of the two ‘excluded applicants’ who submitted their documents. The duo is the reason the government cancels the initial process. The kingmakers did not vote again.”
The two individuals are Balarabe Tijjani (Bunu Zazzau) and Shehu Umar (Sarkin Dajin Zazzau). Speaking further on the development, the source added that the kingmakers were asked to reconfirm their votes.
He stated, “They reaffirmed that they voted consciously and without prejudice, in line with the governor’s public directive in his closing remarks of the third-day prayer for late Emir Shehu Idris.
“Sanusi Lamido, the former Emir of Kano, came on Zoom video to plead to them for a change of heart for his friend, Ahmad Nuhu Bamalli (Magajin Garin), but they flatly refused. They returned to Zaria around 11 pm on Wednesday.”